Friday, April 21, 2006

A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel

Yahoo! Sports made a great move this season, in my opinion, by enlisting Jeff Passan to write for their baseball site. I had no idea who he was at the onset, but it didn't take me long to become a fan. He's a younger guy (or appears to be, anyway) and he seems to continually come up with storylines that would normally be considered out of the norm. In other words, he writes about things my generation - and the generation that followed - can relate to.

In his April 15 column, he wrote about a guy who put Vin Scully's voice to a Nintendo re-enactment of the ninth inning of Game 6 of the 1986 World Series.

Yes, that is the "Bill Buckner Game". Until 2004, it was the bane of Red Sox fans everywhere, though RedSoxNation probably still cusses the poor guy.

So, at the risk of alienating my New England family, here is the video that the young man created. It's worth watching, if only for Scully's voice.



I'm sorry, Aunt Donna.

2 Comments:

At 12:20 AM, Blogger Tony McCarthy said...

I have been watching some Dodgers games on Dish and Mr Scully has been doing the commentary. Of course.

For his age he is still the best. I realized after about 3 innings that he was calling the game alone. And he was recalling people and games from before I was born like it happen last week. He is incredible.

I recently heard that in his first year, 50+ years ago, that he called a game on the radio that Connie Mack managed. Unbelievable.

I wish I knew as much about the game that he has probably forgotten.

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger Rose said...

Last year, the Dodgers' big promotional thing was the 50th anniversary of the 1955 World Series win, and around late August, Fox Sports Net 2 did a very cool telecast with Vin.

They started the game using exactly
what they would have used in 1955: Two cameras -- high home and high
first, with no zoom. Black and white, of course. They added an innovation every half-inning or so. Vin Scully, having been there through it all, was able to explain every new camera angle and on-screen goodie (tight zoom! slow-mo replay! informative graphics!) without skipping a beat of the game.

I don't know if it's possible to get a hold of it, but if it is, everyone should track that sucker down. If it's not (or even if it is), everyone should still try to hear Vin call a Dodgers-Giants game.

Or any game, really...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home